James Bond Brosnan Omega Watch

During his time playing James Bond in the films Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough and Die Another Day, Pierce Brosnan wore two models of Omega Seamasters: the 2541.80.00 and the 2531.80.00.

affordable james bond brosnan omega watch affordable james bond brosnan omega watch

Visually these watches are extremely similar, but the technical differences have been very well explored at James Bond Lifestyle for the 2541.80.00 and the 2531.80.00.

This is my personal dream watch and favorite Bond watch, probably because I grew up with Brosnan and because the watch is so elegant and yet remains a highly functional timepiece.

Features Wanted for the James Bond Brosnan Omega Watch
  • Stainless steel dive watch with blue bezel with a scalloped outer edge
  • Blue face with a subtle “wave pattern”
  • Bar indices at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock and dot indices at remaining hours
  • Custom skeleton Baton/Index style hour and minute hands and lollipop seconds hand, all with luminous tips
  • Screw down crown at 3 o’clock position and release valve at 10 o’clock position
  • Stainless steel band
Options:

The most detail accurate frugal alternative was made by Alpha watches:

affordable james bond brosnan omega watch

As you can see, it’s pretty much the same watch visually. However, these watches are junk: they are not true dive watches and are very cheaply made. I owned one of these once and it was absolute garbage. I literally threw it away!

The next best option visually is the Rotary Aquaspeed AGB00068:

affordable james bond brosnan omega watchThis is actually a picture of the Aquaspeed that I purchased. These watches are hard to find in the blue dial these days, but they can be found on eBay  from time to time for around $120.00 to $140.00.

There are actually two different models of these, the AGB00068 above and the AGB00013 below:

affordable james bond brosnan omega watch
Image from Gold & Times

The black version of the AGB00013 can still be found new at Amazon US ($332.23) and  Amazon UK (£149.00). The  AGB00068 model has a similar bezel and the release valve detail, but the minute and hour hands are very different. On the other hand, the AGB00013 model has similar minute and hour hands, but a different bezel and lacks the release valve.

A decent budget option exists in the Invicta Pro Diver 9094 ($85.00 to $155.00). The most noticeable detail this one is missing is the release valve at the 10 o’clock position.

affordable james bond brosnan omega watch
I own  a similarly priced Invicta Pro Diver, and it is a fantastic watch for the price. After 2 years of use, I have to readjust the time on it once a week. But, in this price range, what more can one expect? The watch has always held up well when I go swimming and, with its screw down crown, water has never leaked in.

Another Invicta option has been brought to our attention by Cubby in the comments section. The Invicta 0070 (hmmm…) Pro Diver, for $100.25:

This is a 200 m dive watch with a chronograph. It has many of the style details of the Brosnan watch, like the 5 section band, blue dial, and skeleton hour and minute hand. The crown details and the chronograph my not be exactly like the original, but if you like the mix of styles and were looking for a chronograph dive watch, then this may be an option that can work for you.

The Orient Ray II Automatic is a slightly more expensive option, on sale for $185.00 at Amazon U.S. Again, it is missing the release valve, but Orient is developing a real following on some of the watch forums as solid economical brand.

affordable james bond brosnan omega watch

Another higher priced option is from the Bond certified brand Seiko: their ProspEX SBDC003 Model goes for $435.00 on Amazon. This model has a 23 jewel Japanese automatic movement and, at 44mm, is probably better for people with larger wrists.

affordable james bond brosnan omega watch

Yes, you’re still sacrificing a lot of details AND paying a hefty price, but I’ve heard only the best of things about Seiko and their quality to price ratio.

Have some suggestions for close matches and affordable alternatives for Brosnan’s watches? Share away in the comments below. And remember to check us out our Facebook Page and Pinterest Boards for more James Bond, style advice, inspiration and info on where to find the latest deals!

Featured image sourced from Dream Chrono. Other images sourced from James Bond LifestyleJewelry Info Place, Andy Wrist Watches, and Beyond James Bond.

7 thoughts on “James Bond Brosnan Omega Watch

• May 13, 2016 at 5:09 pm

That looks like a great option Cubby! The features might throw some off, but it might be exactly the kind of mix someone else is looking for. I’ll add this option to the main post.

• May 13, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Thanks Peppermill! When the time comes I’ll hit you up on AJB if I have any questions.

• May 11, 2016 at 6:18 pm

I agree too, and I’ve heard almost the exact same statement about Seiko from multiple people. And, with Seiko being a Bond brand, you really can’t go wrong. So, I’m very excited to get a Seiko as my next watch, and I’m hoping for a good feeling. Because, while I live my Invicta and my Rotary, I am going for a classier feel, and I’m just not getting that. However, with that said, I’ve been wearing my Invicta for a few years now and I just started wearing my Rotary to work lately. The other day, my boss, who wears a Rolex, commented saying, “oh, what? You got an Omega now to go along with your Rolex?”. I laughed pretty hard and told him I wished it was true, but I had to confess that I was a fraud on both accounts. So, there is something to be said about the “the art of deception” the low budget lookalikes provide. Just don’t get caught in the act, because it can be slightly embarrassing. Which is all the more reason to go with a quality watch that has its own style and legacy in its own right.

• May 12, 2016 at 3:56 am

If you are looking to buy a Seiko watch I can highly recommend http://www.monsterwatches.nl He sells quite a lot of different Seiko watches and accessories like straps and bracelets. I bought both my Seikos with him and his prices and service are very good. I believe most of his site is in Dutch but he ships worldwide. If you need any help or advice you can contact me at AJB.

• May 11, 2016 at 8:16 am

The trouble with watches is that it is very difficult to make a cheap watch look like more than that. While a good quality $20,- polo shirt or chino can look pretty good, a $100,- watch pretending to be a $3000,- watch usually just looks and feel cheap. Especially when that watch is looking very much like the watch it is trying to be, like the Alpha.

I think watches and shoes are the most difficult items to buy ‘on the cheap’. It is hard to fake the quality of a pair of Church’s, C&J or an Omega or Rolex Watch. That is why I like Seiko watches so much. They make good quality (mechanical) watches with a design that doesn’t try to hide the fact that it is a Seiko. I own an Omaga Seamaster Professional 300 (the newer version with the ceramic bezel) but I also own two Seiko divers and they are great watches in their own right. Great quality for the price.

• May 11, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I hear ya. That’s one of the problems with finding “affordable alternatives” to almost anything. When I’m searching for something, I often group products into 3 categories: the cheap knockoffs (poorly made imitations, which I tend to ignore); the homages (very similar to the originals, but not exact copies, with quality construction; some of the replicas from Magnoli and Royale Filmwear fall into this category); and the “close enough” products from more reputable brands that have the look and feel many of us are going for, but aren’t clones of the original. I’ve normally found that by focusing on products in that third category, while I won’t get exact SA shirts, pants, jackets or watches, I will get quality products at good prices that, at the very least, capture some of the “Bond spirit”. Anyway, that’s my philosophy!